Musical Monday: The Cathedrals

This is part of a new series called Musical Monday. Due to my busy schedule, it may not happen every Monday, but if there is a post on a Monday, it will deal with a musical issue.

The Cathedrals were a Southern gospel group. The Cathedrals performed for almost fifty years. The group did go through some changes in its years. Two members were replaced by younger singers. The two original remaining singers were Ray Payne and George Younce. The group dissolved in 1999. Shortly after the end of the group, Ray Payne died. George died in 2006. The group Signature Sound was formed by member Ernie Hass. They performed one final going away concert with Bill Gaither. The Cathedrals went away with a bang. They still had the same enthusiasm that characterized the group.

I am not a big fan of Southern Gospel. It is just not my style of music. Growing up in the 1990s, I really like Contemporary Christian music, especially Christian rock. I first learned about the Cathedrals from a friend. He had the "Farewell" CD. I quickly came to love it. It is the only Southern Gospel CD I own.

The "Farewell" CD includes songs like "This Old House" and "Noah Found Grace," which has questionable theology but is a fun song. I love trying to hit the high note at the end of the song. My two favorite songs on the album are "Sinners Saved by Grace" and "Champion of Love." My only complaint about the CD is that Sandy Patty steals three tracks. In two songs, they are joined by the Statlers and the Oakridge Boys.

I am sad that I came to the Cathedrals late. It is better late than never. They are a fun group. If you are interested in getting into Southern Gospel, I would recommend starting with the Cathedrals.

2 comments:

  1. You should try a group called The Kingsmen. I'm not a fan of Southern Gospel myself but I really like this group.

    http://kingsmenquartet.musiccitynetworks.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen Payne, not Ray Payne. The Cathedrals were great!

    ReplyDelete