Republicanism

As a child, I remember watching Rush Limbaugh's TV show. It was late, so I'd tape it and watch it the next morning. I loved Rush. He was forceful and said his mind. And he was
very funny. He talked about free market. He said that the free market made America great. As a child, my parents instilled in me that less regulation is better. I still believe
that. I have come to realize that Rush and the Republicans view of the free market is not the same as mine.

I do not like the government controlling every area of our lives. I don't like regulations and taxes on business. Some regulations, however, is necessary. What do you mean, Dan? That doesn't sound conservative. Well, think about this, in the 1800s poor children were forced to work in mines and factories. You can't really blame their parents. They had no choice. The progressives in the early twentieth century put a stop to it. That is why the U.S. now has child labor laws. Yes this is a form of regulation but I like it far better than children working in the mines.

The mantra of Rush and Sean Hannity is let the markets decide. When they say they favor a free market, they mean a free market. They want a totally unfettered business. The Republicans believe that the government should not try to get us to use alternative energy. They say energy and oil should compete equally in the private sector. But these same people favor drilling on public lands like Anwar. That doesn't sound like free market. It would be the government that decided which oil companies would drill there. These same people did not have a problem with Bush's no bid contracts. This is not free market. They believe that anything proposed by environmentalists is bad. They believe businesses can do no wrong. If you believe that, I have two words for you, "Bernie Madoff".

This is not what I signed up for. I supported the Republican party because I believe in small government, lower taxes, preservation of the Constitution, religious freedom, pro-family values, and the pro life cause. I do not want a "business is God" party. I don't like regulations, but I don't like kids in the mines either. I do not like the current state of our party and hopes that it changes it's tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment