Evan Bayh

On Monday, to much surprise, second term US Senator, Evan Bayh, a democrat from Indiana, announce that he would not seek re-election. Monday was a few days before the filing deadline. Everyone thought he was going to run. Although Bayh was leading in the polls, he only lead former GOP House Member John Hostetter by 5 points. It would not be a totally uphill battle, but there was a possibility of him being vulnerable. He was not the most vulnerable Democratic senator. After Scott Brown won the special election in Massachusetts, Bayh said things that made me suspect he might not run. I posted on Facebook and Twitter my speculation that he might not run. In 2007, I imagine that McCain won the nomination and picked Sarah Palin as his VP. Unfortunately, I did not tell anyone about this and cannot prove it. To avoid this from happening again, I posted my speculation about Bayh, just in case.

I first heard of Bayh in 2000. In Fox News, Dick Morris suggested him as a potential Vice Presidential nominee. I remember thinking, "Who the heck is Evan Bayh?" Bayh is the son of Birch Bayh. The elder Bayh served in the Senate until 1980 when he was defeated by Dan Quayle. The younger Bayh served as governor of Indiana from 1989-1997. Bayh was elected to the Senate in 1998, replacing outgoing Senator Dan Coats. Bayh was on the short list to be vice president for Gore, Kerry, and Obama but was passed over every time. He ran briefly for the presidency in 2008. He is the former head of the Democratic leadership conference. This was the group that produced Bill Clinton. He is fairly moderate.

Bayh's departure gives another Senate seat that the Republicans can pick up. Several Republicans are now looking at the race, including Former Senator Coats. Mike Pence considered running but will stay in the House. he wants to run for the leadership of the Republican Party in the House. Is this the end of Bayh's political career or simply a lull? Is this the last Democratic Senator to retire before the 2010 election? We'll see.

6 comments:

  1. Dan, you really need to step in. Seriously. She's considering making your children sleep on blankets - blankets that can't be washed frequently. That will be covered in dust and mildew and are not good for growing boys. Their spines needs support. They deserve real beds. Please don't let her do this. Put your foot down. You said no Christmas tree, she didn't put one up. You're their father. She is really out there as far as being in touch with reality.

    I think you're a good guy and you obviously have a sense of humor. I know you read some of the silly stuff I've written and I know you think of it as a stupid joke. So I figure I can be straight with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what would be an altetnive to a matress and a bed? is there a comprimise betreen the two thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wife's notion that mattresses are bad is absurd and contrary to fact. The stuff she's worried about only effects babies and only effects them if a proper mattress cover isn't on a matress. Your 3 year old should have no problem sleeping on a mattress and it's foolhardy to believe that his recent illness was the fault of a mattress. Your wife so much as admits his issue was likely genetic, so the mattress isn't even an issue. Millions of 3 year olds sleep on mattresses and none of them get sick or die from sleeping on one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't you at least make her keep the ORGANIC brand new crib mattress Giz so graciously gifted for Thomas to use? Or Bobby for the time being. Really, her selling that mattress is as UnChristian an act I'v ever seen. The Bible says you're the leader of your home. Now LEAD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An alternative is putting a cover on a mattress, either that or organic, which is very pricy, although you already have an organic crib mattress, so I'd start there. I have 4 boys myself and we just bought them all new mattresses at Costco for $140 apiece, used are available, but you have to be careful of bedbugs, I'd be a lot more worried about that then some hypothetical (ie, no proof) offgassing! It really isn't fair to your boys to make them sleep with such an uncomfortable setup. Blankets are not cushioned or supportive, I can't imagine sleeping that way every night. I worry too about what my boys will think about their upbringing someday, I want to make sure that I do the best I can for them (and I don't mean buy them all kinds of junk, more that they are raised in a good manner.) Not having mattresses would not be seen as a positive by a grown child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan this is out of control AFM is ran buy CHURCHES to help people look at there website. Your wife is out of line and casting a very non Christian appearance.

    That blog needs to be private. It is already out of hand and putting your family at risk.

    DAN PLEASE PLEASE DONT LET YOUR BOYS SLEEP ON THE FLOOR IT IS VERY DRAFTY AND UNCOMFORABLE. You and emily try sleeping on the ground for a week and see how its like.

    ReplyDelete