Rock for the King James

Those who favor the King James version, whether it be King James Versions ("All of versions are perversions.) or King James preferred ("Use the KJV, but do believe it is the only acceptable version.) tend to be old-fashioned. They are against Christian rock and rap, believe women should only wear dresses, advocate extreme separation, and even oppose power point. These churches tend to be made of generational Christians. They are in the same church they grew up in, or the same kind of church. Churches and universities involved in this are involved in group think.

I grew up in an evangelical church where the King James was used but not enforced. It was just what the pastor preached from. We left that church when I was 15 and went to a fundamentalist church. The pastor there was from Bob Jones University and was a major supporter of the King James Bible. He preached against Christian rock. I never bought into it and brought my NASB and listened to Christian rock while we attended. It has only been fairly recently that I have been drawn to the KJV. The King James translators did not engage in text criticism. They believed it was the Word of God. The proponent of the NA27 texts believed the oldest known manuscript was the best manuscript. The problem is that the oldest text omits several passages, including John 8, the story of the woman caught in adultery. Because of this, I adopted a KJV friendly attitude.

I still have difficulty aligning myself with the KJV only side. I love the KJV but cannot adopt a KJV only position because it is untenable. I really enjoy Christian rock. It has encouraged me helped me, even challenged me. I do not feel that giving up Christian rock is the best thing to do. With these two views, what do I do?

I would love to see a pro rock, pro King James movement. Several reform pastors such as Mark Driscoll and Matt Chandler, have created the reformed emerging church that affirms the fundamentals of the faith but allows casual dress and Christian rock. I'd like to see a fundamentalist emerging church that believes in the philosophy of the King James Bible, but allows Christian rock and rap, casual dress, and yes, power point. I'd really like to see those of us who feel this way band together, after all, why should Bob Jones have all the King James lovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment